Eddie Howe, the god-like genius, and his injury-ravaged sausage-shaking title contenders v some tin pot club on the south coast

Dr Gloom

You hate to say it but that was coming. You can only perform minor miracles for so long. I say the talk of investment in January is short sighted as most of the afflicted will be back by then but you sort of need to be keeping in touching distance with the top. I do think we sort of needed that, as daft as it sounds but it wouldn’t surprise me if 90% of our internationals withdraw in the next couple of days 

• Like 1

Eddie: "That was a really difficult game for us"

..."Not our finest moment but we have to accept it"..."Bournemouth played well, we didn't"

The schedule doesn't let up after this. Let's get Tom Cruise and his special stem cell and baby blood transfusion machine in over the international break.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

You hate to say it but that was coming. You can only perform minor miracles for so long. I say the talk of investment in January is short sighted as most of the afflicted will be back by then but you sort of need to be keeping in touching distance with the top. I do think we sort of needed that, as daft as it sounds but it wouldn’t surprise me if 90% of our internationals withdraw in the next couple of days 

Id fucking yank em straight away from England 

Okay. I'm going to put a massive positive spin on this. We were absolutely bare bones today, moreso than any point I can ever remember. We lost but weren't disgraced. Personally I thought we played as well as possible given the circumstances and imo we gave everything, nothing wrong with morale. 

Last year we only drew against Bournemouth away, and only scraped a 1-0 win at home. We are 1 point worse off at this stage of the season with a slightly better GD. It's my belief we have played harder games at this stage than last year, with the added 4 CL games on top. We have witnessed some outstanding football and imo not once have we not given our all. It's disappointing but it's 1 point lost. We'll be okay. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Poor performance, we were second best throughout - massively struggling for players and those that are playing look tired the international break is welcome for a change. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

8 minutes ago, Howay said:

Poor performance, we were second best throughout - massively struggling for players and those that are playing look tired the international break is welcome for a change. 

Should have let Trippier give him a slap. It was a shit performance, but it's not like we were blessed with game changers on the bench.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Howay said:

It is tough to watch when we don't do well but common sense tells you we are up against it when we are playing Gordon up front, starting a 17 year old in the middle, a 19 year old at left back and bringing on a kid to replace the 17 year old. Bringing on Ritchie who probably shouldn't have still been here before the take over. Every fan base has people who need to stop and process information at times. Trippier should have ignored him, but these people are often hard to ignore.

• Like 4

We could see it going on… it’s weird, it looked like Trips went looking for the cunt because he was first over to the fans and went straight to that area so he might have been digging at Trips during the second half.  What an absolute fuckin weapon.  I didn’t see any trouble outside but if he got nicked the fuckin drivel monger deserves it. 

He wasn’t the only one, “comments from the cafe” from a minority of fuckin strap ons but the support in general was very good for when and where the game was. Some half decent performances but mostly tired and laboured across the board. No complaints whatsoever about our season so far. The players to their credit appear to be like the manager they just get on with it. We’ll see where that and the January window gets us 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 9

A disappointing result but not a surprising result in hindsight. We've been due a performance like this one with the amount of injuries and general fatigue in the group from the recent set of games. Proud of the effort regardless of the result. This group has given their all and played above all expectations for almost two years now. They consistently do themselves and us proud every week.

Other teams have started to slip up in recent weeks. Tottenham wobbling massively with a fraction of the injuries to deal with that we have. Liverpool dropped points and couldn't beat a French team named after defeat, probably. ManU sucks, and it's only a matter of time before their luck runs out. Villa have dropped points and look favourites for a dip in form any time soon. Arsenal suddenly look worse than last season despite all the money Arteta has spunked on high-profile crap. Chelsea are so shit they don't even warrant a mention beyond a reminder that they're hilariously bad.

Honestly, I'd have taken a draw today with Wilson out. We were more threadbare than I've seen any Newcastle team for a long long time. Relatively speaking. It was always going to be tough. So we only dropped a point in my eyes.

Despite a terrible run of luck with injuries and a few results which we could've gotten more from with a bit of luck, we're still basically a win away from the CL spots, into a LC quarter-final, and we're still in with a decent shout of making the knockouts for CL in the universally regarded group of death. We've already had some wonderful moments this season. Our stats show we should be higher up the PL table than we are currently. And we only have a month to go after the international break before we can strengthen again in the January window.

This all goes to make the point that, I hope the away support sorted that dickhead for Tripps. Talk about a lack of perspective. Absolute knacker.

• Like 5

Aye what a monumental bellend that man is. Everyone's disappointed but no one can fault the effort from the players. It's been a brilliant season and these lads have worked their socks off. If you look at it as a whole over the last few weeks, we've done so well to stay in the CL, the league cup and a good position in the league all the whilst dealing with an injury crisis in the first season at this elite level for this squad, many of whom have never been in this position before. Not to mention we've drawn basically the most difficult opponents at every opportunity. 

Massive respect for Eddie and the team for remaining in a competitive position in all competitions through all of that. 

These are the motions we have to go through, over the next couple of years there will be more days like this as we become used to the rigours at this level and the squad expands and adapts. And don't forget this is all happening years ahead of schedule, and with the league and other big clubs doing seemingly all they can at every turn to stop it. 

• Like 3

I think you can take this 3 ways.

1) We arguably only had 4 players missing from the first XI (5 if you include both strikers) and the more seasoned pros all had stinkers and didn’t step up (I’m thinking mainly the midfield here not getting a grip of the game). 

2) The players that had to play were gassed and the fringe players aren’t good enough. The way we play is so physically demanding that we are all fucked by Nov. We are either going to need a huge squad or Eddie will need to go to a more possession based game (which I think he bought Tonali for) in the future. Draw a line under this one and we recharge.

3) Dr Gloom

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

I think you can take this 3 ways.

1) We arguably only had 4 players missing from the first XI (5 if you include both strikers) and the more seasoned pros all had stinkers and didn’t step up (I’m thinking mainly the midfield here not getting a grip of the game). 

2) The players that had to play were gassed and the fringe players aren’t good enough. The way we play is so physically demanding that we are all fucked by Nov. We are either going to need a huge squad or Eddie will need to go to a more possession based game (which I think he bought Tonali for) in the future. Draw a line under this one and we recharge.

3) Dr Gloom

100% 3)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1