General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

1. I was saying that I agree with paying more on sunday whilst it still has this status as a 'special' day, just that I don't believe we should have a day set out for religious adherence when we're an increasingly secular society.

2. What relevance does me being the future have to do with my future childrens lifestyles?

3. I don't plan on having children.

Misread your post. Apologies.

Tell that to the staff of Asda, Tesco or any major retailer.

Scandalous that a Sundays graft is worth more than a Saturday.

Any company that works 24/7 does so for business reasons, they obviously have the capacity and volume of orders to do so and need these shifts manned up. They will drop these extra shifts like a stone the minute volume dries up and not think twice about putting workers on the rock and roll where your favourite party and their supporters can label them 'scroungers'. The orders will bring in the extra revenue to the company and the company will cost the extra shifts (including any enhanced unsociable payments) to the customer. Although I'm pretty certain you know all this already.

Those poor, poor companies being shafted time and time again by those workers. What's an exec to do?

Any company that works 24/7 does so for business reasons, they obviously have the capacity and volume of orders to do so and need these shifts manned up. They will drop these extra shifts like a stone the minute volume dries up and not think twice about putting workers on the rock and roll where your favourite party and their supporters can label them 'scroungers'. The orders will bring in the extra revenue to the company and the company will cost the extra shifts (including any enhanced unsociable payments) to the customer. Although I'm pretty certain you know all this already.

Those poor, poor companies being shafted time and time again by those workers. What's an exec to do?

You still haven't told me why a Sunday is worth more than a Saturday.

The churches are on their knees so it can't be for religious reasons.

But it is religious reasons, it's antiquated but we're still a Christian nation de jure. That tradition has gone on for centuries, personally think its ridiculous but I guess it helps structure having Saturday and Sunday as 'weekend' days. Maybe if Sunday was 'normal' we'd end up with all sorts of random days off becoming the norm? People having a 'weekend' of Monday and Tuesday just because their work says so.

Do I really need to spell it out that weekend work and nightshift work should have an enhanced payment CT? Most people's social and family activities revolve around the weekend, mate. Sunday is the traditional rest day. Again, it's just arguing for the sake of it now.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that the only reason it should be any different is due to religion?

Actually, What's in it for you, CT? What's your incentive to champion lower pay for those who suffer shiftwork or weekend work? The companies cost these things up, if it isn't profitable they wont do it, so if companies do pay up why do you think they're being screwed and as a family man from a working class part of the World, why do you think shareholders should get that extra bit of profit at the expense of the man who can't take his kids out as he's at work/in bed asleep after a shift etc?

Actually, What's in it for you, CT? What's your incentive to champion lower pay for those who suffer shiftwork or weekend work? The companies cost these things up, if it isn't profitable they wont do it, so if companies do pay up why do you think they're being screwed and as a family man from a working class part of the World, why do you think shareholders should get that extra bit of profit at the expense of the man who can't take his kids out as he's at work/in bed asleep after a shift etc?

I'd like to hear an answer to this

You really are a tit. :lol:

I was paid time and a half when I worked in Safeway btw, double on bank holidays. Iirc they couldn't force you to work these shifts so had to incentivise it; most family workers still opted out. Absolutely incredible anyone should have a problem with this.

But it is religious reasons, it's antiquated but we're still a Christian nation de jure. That tradition has gone on for centuries, personally think its ridiculous but I guess it helps structure having Saturday and Sunday as 'weekend' days. Maybe if Sunday was 'normal' we'd end up with all sorts of random days off becoming the norm? People having a 'weekend' of Monday and Tuesday just because their work says so.

A weekend of Monday and Tuesday is the norm for lots of people already. Not everyone wants a "normal" weekend off.

Do I really need to spell it out that weekend work and nightshift work should have an enhanced payment CT? Most people's social and family activities revolve around the weekend, mate. Sunday is the traditional rest day. Again, it's just arguing for the sake of it now.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that the only reason it should be any different is due to religion?

Im basically saying that if we want to be a competitive country business owners should not have to pay extra money to employ someone just because its a different day of the week.

Seems very old fashioned to me.

If a private firm wants to do that thats fine. The discussion started relating to the NHS which is not private and is paid for by the tax payer. If all this extra money wasnt paid out, imagine what else they could do with the money.

Im basically saying that if we want to be a competitive country business owners should not have to pay extra money to employ someone just because its a different day of the week.

Seems very old fashioned to me.

They don't have to.

A weekend of Monday and Tuesday is the norm for lots of people already. Not everyone wants a "normal" weekend off.

Not the large majority, you've got 4 kids haven't you, would you not prefer to have had weekends off with them, or is it more the case of if I can't have the time of, fuck everyone else Mr DFS taxi driver?

Fuck it, going by your reasoning, why even have weekends, public holidays, or even days of the week at all?

CT should fuck off to the US or even Russia - I know at our place the people who work in Moscow always work on a Saturday unpaid if there is a bank holiday Monday as they feel that they "owe" a day.

Of course the fact that countries like Germany which piss on the UK economically and productivity wise have shit loads more holidays and a much higher emphasis on worker's life balance never enters the capitalist fuckwit brain.

CT really has taken hypocrite to a new level on this one, bet he even charges extra for bags and takes those with a funny accent on a 'scenic' route.

As for charging more for Sundays/nights being on principle I really hope that was tongue in cheek.

CT really has taken hypocrite to a new level on this one, bet he even charges extra for bags and takes those with a funny accent on a 'scenic' route.

As for charging more for Sundays/nights being on principle I really hope that was tongue in cheek.

no way is that true.

If a private firm wants to do that thats fine. The discussion started relating to the NHS which is not private and is paid for by the tax payer. If all this extra money wasnt paid out, imagine what else they could do with the money.

Out of hours work is tiring, more difficult and causes massive disruption to a worker's life. It is, in effect, harder work. That's why it's paid more. Presumably CT, you would not be happy if I paid you the same fare to drive me to Aberwystwyth that you would charge me to take me a few miles.

Imagine if we only paid Cath, J69, and myself a third of what we do now, or nothing at all, think of what else we could spend that on.

I despise the the way you use 'taxpayer' in this context, as if you have some fucking right to dictate what I should and should not be paid for. I am not employed by you, and what my salary is is simply none of your fucking business.

Out of hours work is tiring, more difficult and causes massive disruption to a worker's life. It is, in effect, harder work. That's why it's paid more. Presumably CT, you would not be happy if I paid you the same fare to drive me to Aberwystwyth that you would charge me to take me a few miles.

Imagine if we only paid Cath, J69, and myself a third of what we do now, or nothing at all, think of what else we could spend that on.

I despise the the way you use 'taxpayer' in this context, as if you have some fucking right to dictate what I should and should not be paid for. I am not employed by you, and what my salary is is simply none of your fucking business.

Think you better suck on a few of your own hoses.

We're having a discussion on the Internet. If it upsets you too much go put the telly on.

I worked Christmas Day, a late shift on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day this year. And you think I should just get paid a standard rate for spending those days at work instead of with my family.

The biggest fucking irony is you live on my patch. Your council/poll tax was paying my enhancements ;) thanks

Edited by TheRollingStones