Other games

Park Life

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sadly, the force is with both chelsea and man city. everton in great form too. we couldn't have a tougher end to the season.

We've lost one game out of seven. We're not bang out of form ourselves.

We've lost one game out of seven. We're not bang out of form ourselves.

I know but the natural pessimist in me reckons we peaked 3 games early. Still an amazing season. Like Creig says, anything better than 6th is a bonus. Who'd have thought we'd all be getting gloomy about missing out on top 4 at the start of the season?

And who knows - there is still a small chance we can do it. But it's a massive ask, getting points away at Chelsea and everton and beating the champions elect.

Edited by Dr Gloom

If our crowd are the same as the Liverpool game, it's Man Utd's title. I'm pretty sure we won't lose. We never think about it from the oppositions view point but SJP is a hard place to come. When we're at the game we won't even be entertaining the idea we'll lose. Man City have good players all over the park, but we have match winners, I'll be surprised if we surrender easily. Their away record v our home record since November point to a home win imo. It'll be interesting that's for sure.

If our crowd are the same as the Liverpool game, it's Man Utd's title. I'm pretty sure we won't lose. We never think about it from the oppositions view point but SJP is a hard place to come. When we're at the game we won't even be entertaining the idea we'll lose. Man City have good players all over the park, but we have match winners, I'll be surprised if we surrender easily. Their away record v our home record since November point to a home win imo. It'll be interesting that's for sure.

We had a few chances when we played them in November, Ben Arfa cut them open and he wasn't even in form then. It all fell apart after we gave away a penalty then they went and got two more. We'll definitely give them a game, and I highly doubt that if we do lose it'll be by more than one goal.

Like Gloomy says we could barely have a tougher end to the season. Chelsea hitting form, man City hitting form and needing a win to all but seal the league and Everton in good form playing their last home game of the season.

Like many say, you have to look at the final table after the last game and you can't help but be chuffed. Still could have a tiny tint of "what if" though.

I said to a mate on Saturday that the "real" Newcastle United turned up at Wigan; not that I think we're a poor team, far from it, but winnng six games on the bounce isnt really what we do....or have done very infrequently over the years. Its another missed opportunity, which is like us, but am far from dispondant.This season has been largely great, and am very hopeful for next season.

I said to a mate on Saturday that the "real" Newcastle United turned up at Wigan; not that I think we're a poor team, far from it, but winnng six games on the bounce isnt really what we do....or have done very infrequently over the years. Its another missed opportunity, which is like us, but am far from dispondant.This season has been largely great, and am very hopeful for next season.

Based on our form from this season that wasn't the real Newcastle United turning up.

Based on our form from this season that wasn't the real Newcastle United turning up.

Not really on about form as such, am on about fuckin up huge opportunities in genreral, and luck I guess....2 FA cup finals v a double winning side and a treble winning side, playing Chelsea off the park the next season and getting beat in the semi, Liverpool being fuckin hopeless all season after spending 70 mill plus on shite then winning one cup and in the final of another, blowing a 12 point lead at the top of the table, Liverpool again winning the champions league in an unbeleivably jammy fashion.....In general we blow it and have very little luck when it really counts, and,sad to say, that is the "real" us.

I know what you mean and it's hard to argue with. I do think the attitude has changed at the club and although I fully expect Ashley to fuck something up in the very near future, the players are young and playing as a team. There is less of the loveable clown atmosphere about us.

Not really on about form as such, am on about fuckin up huge opportunities in genreral, and luck I guess....2 FA cup finals v a double winning side and a treble winning side, playing Chelsea off the park the next season and getting beat in the semi, Liverpool being fuckin hopeless all season after spending 70 mill plus on shite then winning one cup and in the final of another, blowing a 12 point lead at the top of the table, Liverpool again winning the champions league in an unbeleivably jammy fashion.....In general we blow it and have very little luck when it really counts, and,sad to say, that is the "real" us.

I know where you're coming from but I think you have to get away from the psychological negativity of it. At the end of the day, Liverpool will win trophies this season in spite of the vast money they've spent. They've actually spent it very badly as the league shows, but they'll win trophies because that's what the media demand of them, so thats what they do. It's that added pressure that drives standards up at the club. They're actually a bit of an irrelevance this season in the PL/CL sense, but the media obsession with them means they're driven to succeed-there's nowhere for their players to hide-and that will pay off in the cups. That's true of a lot of the established clubs and you have to get up there and earn that. It's exactly the same with Man U and Arse.

Traditionally, when we underperform, it's a talking point for a bit but then we fade away and the media dont bat an eyelid. The local media have almost always all been in bed with previous regimes so they don't help maintain standards (honestly that's a big thing you notice living outside the area) and we're a one club city anyway so we're the only show in town, which is another reason for us to be complacent.

All that has to change from the top down and thats why I've always voiced my disapproval about Shepherd bad mouthing his own supporters in Spanish brothels as much as I have Ashley acting the prick in the Bigg market. It's all bad for the club as it portrays us as a joke and that feeds into the players psyche when they're eg up against double winners in FA cup finals (or any crunch game for that matter)...who do you think is more likely to dig deep and die for their club in those games? Our players have always had the option of going missing with relative impunity (from both their employer and media), their's on the other hand would be crucified by both, as they know more is expected of them for their pay cheques.

The fact we played Arsenal and Man U in those specific finals is neither here nor there really either. Double winning etc is more common nowadays because there are only a few select clubs who win things these days anyway-thats just how football has changed. So if you get to a cup final, you've got to expect to be playing them and you've got to try and beat them, otherwise there's just no point in being there. Theres certainly zero point in bemoaning the fact you've come up against them in the final in any event. Way, way too much is made of that.

With Jonny on this one overall. It was gutting to get spanked off Wigan given the run we were in, but the real Newcastle this season has been one of genuine resilience and that deserves recognition as it's been a sea change to what we're used to as fans. It's importance can't be understated. I'm hoping for the best in the final few games without expecting anything, but I acknowledge the efforts of everyone at the club that's got us to this point as it's been done entirely with sweat and hard graft for the first time in a long long time and I think that's the best foundation for building.

It's easy to get carried away when you win 6 on the bounce and just fail to turn up.

I think we've been guilty once or twice of underestimating teams - the performance against Bolton was uncomfortable as we just thought we would win without much effort.

Been a very long time since we had players good enough to become complacent after a run of results so I won't damn them too much, but capitulating at Wigan was unacceptable. I don't think we'll get many points from Chelski or Citeh but you never know. Certainly we'll put in performances and won't make it easy for them.

There's no losing mindset and nor should there be. We're in the Europe League and that's a real achievement. It's important though not to get above our station - we're not quite stable enough yet. Cheer on the team because they deserve it over the course of a brilliant season, and let's hope they come back again with reinforcements to make us proud again.

I know where PL is coming from. I think if you've followed the toon for a long time, you sort of expect to be disappointed when there's the prospect of achieving something. As my brother in law says about NUFC "I can handle the despair, it's the hope I can't stand."

Mind you, making 5th or 6th this season and the EL is fucking stellar, so personally I'm delighted with how things have gone this season