Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don’t think anyone wins tbh.

Exactly.

What is scary is the "dead hand" that is still operational in Russia and will automatically launch missiles that fly over all launch sites and remote launch nukes at all enemy targets . Allegedly it needs "turning on" first, but other intelligence seems to say it needs to be always on to ensure it's failsafes can monitor for faults.

Dead Hand - Wikipedia

Let's hope that they keep those "event detectors" well maintained and looked after. It's mostly rumour, but I remember some guy showing me a Russian vid a few years ago, where they were arguing that it was "too dangerous" to attempt to decomission it! 

They better not start fracking in Moscow, that's all I can say!

I've just read that Express article, fuck me, people need to take a long hard look at themselves, at that paper.

Edited by scoobos
slag the Express.

1 hour ago, scoobos said:

Exactly.

What is scary is the "dead hand" that is still operational in Russia and will automatically launch missiles that fly over all launch sites and remote launch nukes at all enemy targets . Allegedly it needs "turning on" first, but other intelligence seems to say it needs to be always on to ensure it's failsafes can monitor for faults.

Dead Hand - Wikipedia

Let's hope that they keep those "event detectors" well maintained and looked after. It's mostly rumour, but I remember some guy showing me a Russian vid a few years ago, where they were arguing that it was "too dangerous" to attempt to decomission it! 

They better not start fracking in Moscow, that's all I can say!

I've just read that Express article, fuck me, people need to take a long hard look at themselves, at that paper.

From the Express article comments. Urgh. 

The people of London will glow green in the dark and have a nice even tan. Oops sorry they all already have a brown tan.

To be fair to the Russians, there's at least one incident in history where a human intervened in a false alarm and avoided global annihilation. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

I never thought I'd have to worry about nuclear war again, but now I'm starting to. Isn't this decade turning out great? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

To be fair to the Russians, there's at least one incident in history where a human intervened in a false alarm and avoided global annihilation. 

I never thought I'd have to worry about nuclear war again, but now I'm starting to. Isn't this decade turning out great? 

Im not at the worrying stage yet, but given a few years ago most people used to think of a global pandemic as the stuff of Hollywood….   

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I don't worry about  Nuclear war as much as I worry about the carbon budget , we're going to spunk hundreds of tons of CO2 - that war machine aint eco friendly and we've only 6 or 7 years of current consumption left, according to all the BS agreements the world has signed up to.

2 hours ago, Asprilla said:

It would be really annoying if they blew up the world just as we’re about to maybe win something

the most newcastley thing ever. just one win needed to clinch the title with an appearance in the champions league final looming and...

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Fuck me, I'll be steering clear of general chat for a bit. Twitter as well. 

If we ARE headed for WW3, I don't think I need the play by play. If we're not, I don't think I need the drama and stress of worrying about it. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Fuck me, I'll be steering clear of general chat for a bit. Twitter as well. 

If we ARE headed for WW3, I don't think I need the play by play. If we're not, I don't think I need the drama and stress of worrying about it. 

Now you know how I feel in the Newcastle thread :lol: 

Zelensky: 

"Today I initiated a phone conversation with the president of the Russian Federation. The result was silence. Although it's the Donbas where there should be silence."

"We are divided by a shared border of more than 2,000km. Almost 200,000 of your troops and thousands of military vehicles are standing alongside it. Your leadership has ordered them to move forward, onto another country's territory."

"I'm speaking Russian, but nobody in Russia understand what these places, streets, and events are. This is our land and our history. What are you fighting for? And with who?"

"Lots of you have relatives in Ukraine, you studied in Ukrainian universities, you have Ukrainian friends. You know our character, our principles, what matters to us. Listen to yourselves, to the voice of reason. The people of Ukraine want peace."

• Sad 2

Former NATO chief Chris Parry: the last decade had been a western policy of wishful thinking. The strategy should be based on diplomatic, economic and military means - but the west has only ever put up the first two to Putin, signalling clearly that the third was off the table.

Absolutely devastating for the Ukrainian people. 

If the west is reacting, it’s because Putin has the upper hand. NATO has looked the other way for eight years. I’m not an instinctive interventionist but strategy failure reduces the options by conceding the upper hand to Putin.

The NATO message to Russia is that there will be pain if you invade, but if you are prepared to take the pain Ukraine is yours.

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Let's see how churchillian Boris is now....

He can’t be pissing off his paymasters.

He’ll be in full, “what’s this mean or us and our money” mode.

The cunt