Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I've no doubt that our unexpectedly good performance in the league, coupled with our piss-poor FA Cup performance will alter the boardroom plans. If Al-Rumayyan comes to town he'll probably loosen the purse strings again.

I want ultra hipster signings. like Franca, Perrone etc.

Perrone? He’s small beer tbh :cuppa:

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Perrone? He’s small beer tbh :cuppa:

When I saw Fish's post I was thinking we'll probably have Peroni on draught when they bring stuff back in house and maybe even have Guinness that isn't from a can and is cold. (I'll still have a pint or two in the many bars in town instead).

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

zaha out of contract this season. plays left, right, up top. Instant upgrade on fraser and ritchie

Wold rather keep Ritchie. Seems to be better for the dressing room than overinflated Zaha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

You’ve got to imagine that we end up with someone on loan from Chelsea tbh. Every cunt else will when they realise they can only register 25 of the fuckers

Gallagher seems to want first team.  He's radge. 

5 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

zaha out of contract this season. plays left, right, up top. Instant upgrade on fraser and ritchie

And an ego off the scale. No thanks.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Craig said:

You really need to get over the St James’ Park thing, it can’t be good for your health :lol:

I asked a simple, easy question. You did not answer it.

Put on another Grinny Face to make yourself feel better

29 minutes ago, Dougle said:

I asked a simple, easy question. You did not answer it.

Put on another Grinny Face to make yourself feel better

:woosh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Disappointing if true. I appreciate we've spent a fortune over the last 3 windows, but a couple of upgrades in LW and CM would give us a much better chance of finishing 4th imo.

And have the knock on effect of giving us a couple of better options off the bench with the displaced players. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Disappointing if true. I appreciate we've spent a fortune over the last 3 windows, but a couple of upgrades in LW and CM would give us a much better chance of finishing 4th imo.

And have the knock on effect of giving us a couple of better options off the bench with the displaced players. 

might point to a couple of loan signings towards the end of the window. Pulisic etc 

I know there's normally a domino effect in transfers particularly in January, but I hope we're at least a little more advanced than that Craig Hope tweet infers. There's a long second half of the season coming if we don't at least freshen things up a little.

I'd be very surprised if the media were actually reporting anything different. We have been known to keep our business quiet until it's done, the club won't want to talk up the transfer policy as it'll mean clubs just hang us out for fees. They're not daft and aren't running us on a shoestring like Ashley. If they can weigh up the benefits of Europe by next season (and maybe Champions League) then they'll be looking at our weakness beyond the first 13 or 14 players. Keep those bedsheets dry.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

You’ve got to imagine that we end up with someone on loan from Chelsea.

Turgid rejects? No thanx! Boehly is all over the map. 

invest in Waltham Forest, Greenwich, &/or  Hammersmith. 

You have to imagine we that FFP is an issue. In 20/21 we had a loss of £13.6m. Since then we've spent about £200m on transfers and added about £33m per year to the wage bill (both fag packet calculations). Given that FFP only allows us to lose £53m over a three year period and we've yet to add any major commercial deals I'd say we don't have a huge amount to blow in a tough January window.

Now that £200m will be amortised over the duration of the player contracts so it doesn't immediately hit FFP and the Saudis have put in an additional £74m in equity so there will be some wiggle room but I get the feeling that any signings made this window will be out of necessity (i.e. injuries) or because the deal represents good value (which are difficult to find in January).

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season