Newcastle United 1-2 Stoke City

Wavey Davey

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughton has a lot to answer for today, the subs were baffling.

Playing carrol by himself at home is a joke, as lets be honest, nolan is offering fuck all in support and should be dropped along with perch and routledge.

The penny has got to drop - this system does not work - its playing into the hands of the opposition - and Nolan is too slow - it just fucks me off that we lost to shite like stoke and blackpool

Let's just say that today showed Hughton's failings (and thus ours) off quite blatantly;

- We dominated possession in the first half, but created hardly anything from it.

Stoke - who were beyond awful in the first half - didn't make it easy with their men behind the ball tactics, but we really didn't do enough and it took a penalty that should have never been awarded (as in, Huth shouldn't have been so stupid in the first place). Which leads me on to my next point...

- Playing one man up front AT HOME.

So pathetically one dimensional. Carroll had next to nothing to get on the end of because he was always being crowded out by their defenders. We can't rely on him like that. Ben Arfa is great and all that but too often he had to drift because there wasn't a player in a forward position for him to pass to. We desperately need a decent striker to pair Carroll with. Nolan in the hole isn't good enough - get Ben Arfa in there if you have to. Which leads me on to my next point...

- Kevin Nolan.

Utterly invisible unless he was facing the keeper when we had a free kick, or if he had to shout at the ref about a decision. Scoring a penalty doesn't take away from a dismal performance. He can't be dropped though because he's the captain. Which leads me on to my next point...

- Hughton's subs.

Time and time again, this is proving to be by far his biggest weakness. He's clueless when it comes to subs. Ben Arfa off after an hour? Why? We're at home, stop being so cautious, go for another with our best player. Tiote off? What's the point? He had a decent game and really solidified our midfield given Nolan's anonymity and Barton being so attack-minded. And what's he got against Lovenkrands? Ameobi scored two in the cup so I can understand why he came on but surely Lovenkrands would have been the better option given he's far more energetic and would better suit us playing the ball on the ground as opposed to in the air, which Stoke can deal with more easily. Hughton needs to stop trying to play it safe, it's costing us. Which leads to my next point...

- What on earth was that second half performance about?

Why so cautious? Felt like one of those times when you regret that the team had to go in for the half-time break. We never regained momentum of any kind till they'd scored. It's all well and good having loads of possession but pointless when you're nowhere near ruthless enough with it.

Results like that will cost us dearly. 2 losses at home, when for large portions of the game we've been clearly the better side. Stoke deserved something out of the game, but not all 3 points.

Edited by Tecato

I'm absolutely spitting blood with something I saw after the game, walking past the Stoke fans, (My perch is next to them), they came out full of shit having beat us, (fair enough, you give it, you take it), Some complete prick of a cop grabs a kid no more than 14 at best, picks him up and shoves him in front of the stoke fans, I was fucking apoplectic at the time he did it, he could have picked any amount of them, any amount of some worky Geordies but picks a young kid who probably knew no better, I almost had to bite myself to stop myself from having it out with this utter cunt as I would have been lifted 100% if I'd spoke my mind, (I've no doubt violence would have been injected by said bastard and his black bastard mates when I told him I strongly disagreed with his treatment of the young kid). I'm still fucking livid now, I did the right thing for myself and my family, (I'd have been in Market Street now if I'd stepped in), but even now feel that I should have said something to the wanker.

.........And I haven't even mentioned the game yet!

Edited by Howmanheyman

I hardly know what to say.

Perch is shit. Williamson was like a frightened rabbit in the 2nd half, he was scared shitless. Nolan was invisible. Routledge is limited, like Franz Carr and Ruel Fox he runs aimlessly and lacks control in his game. We lack a partner for Andy Carroll because a good one would have more than likely cost too much money.

Singing for Shola Ameobi makes you want to cry. If ever there was a sign that showed acceptance of declined standards, then this was it.

You can blame the manager for making selection or tactical errors but ultimately people are blaming him for not putting together a good team on peanuts. He doesn't have a leg to stand on. I'm sorry, this is the truth.

A long hard season beckons. How come a club like Stoke City find the cash to bring 2 players to the club, when we could not, who both would have made us a better team and more likely to have won this game today ?

You can blame the manager for making selection or tactical errors but ultimately people are blaming him for not putting together a good team on peanuts. He doesn't have a leg to stand on. I'm sorry, this is the truth.

We have a team that's good enough to beat Stoke at St James'. Perch is a big weak spot that will be exploited. Williamson and Coloccini lacked the physicality in this game.

Noone blames Hughton for not having a team of superstars on massive wages but we can rightfully be concerned about the way he made changes today. it goes without saying that if a player is ineffectual they should be taken off, or if a player is influential they should be left on. Hughton's changes today went wildly against this. Nolan did nothing all game and yet stayed for the full match. Tiote was again looking good, good movement of the ball and made some nice tackles yet he was removed. Ben Arfa looked lively in attack and had them constantly worried yet he was subbed. Routledge was a headless chicken yet he stayed out there.

There's no sense to be made from those moves except to say that it indicates that Hughton is making substitutions not on the merits of the players in the individual matches, but on the influence of the players (perhaps off the pitch). He was probably justified in starting the same 11 as the Everton match, but substitutions shouldn't only be made when you're behind or even needing a goal, they should have been made earlier in the piece where we weren't making use of our dominance of possession and territory eg. bringing Nolan off and putting a forward on.

It will be interesting to see what happens in our next match. I can't see Hughton suddenly growing a set and dropping Nolan, but I can at least hope.

Edited by OzToonFan

We have a team that's good enough to beat Stoke at St James'. Perch is a big weak spot that will be exploited. Williamson and Coloccini lacked the physicality in this game.

Noone blames Hughton for not having a team of superstars on massive wages but we can rightfully be concerned about the way he made changes today. it goes without saying that if a player is ineffectual they should be taken off, or if a player is influential they should be left on. Hughton's changes today went wildly against this. Nolan did nothing all game and yet stayed for the full match. Tiote was again looking good, good movement of the ball and made some nice tackles yet he was removed. Ben Arfa looked lively in attack and had them constantly worried yet he was subbed. Routledge was a headless chicken yet he stayed out there.

There's no sense to be made from those moves except to say that it indicates that Hughton is making substitutions not on the merits of the players in the individual matches, but on the influence of the players (perhaps off the pitch). He was probably justified in starting the same 11 as the Everton match, but substitutions shouldn't only be made when you're behind or even needing a goal, they should have been made earlier in the piece where we weren't making use of our dominance of possession and territory eg. bringing Nolan off and putting a forward on.

It will be interesting to see what happens in our next match. I can't see Hughton suddenly growing a set and dropping Nolan, but I can at least hope.

We play Man City next week at their place. Nolan will play off Carroll once again. Same formation most likely.

We play Man City next week at their place. Nolan will play off Carroll once again. Same formation most likely.

Don't disagree with you that that is what we'll see, but Nolan doesn't deserve to hold onto his spot.

Lovenkrands should play in the Nolan role.

Disagree completely, Lovenkrands is a puff and only should be used as a sub.

Ben Arfa should be played in place of Nolan and it's to the teams detriment that he's not and we persist with Nolan.

To be honest we've loaned out Lua Lua when he should be an alternative for either flank and Jonas is sitting on the bench when he should be on the field and Ben Arfa is being forced to play wide to accommodate the club captain!

But don't worry, once Guthrie is fit he'll be pushed to the right.

Stoke a team who rely on ariel bombardment and have a one trick pony in Delap yet as a football club what do we do? We leave a gap of three advertising boards 10 yards from the corner flag, he must have been laughing his tits off when he saw that.

When we play Stoke we should be redesigning the ground to make it more difficult for him. Those boards should never have been missing and all boards should have been moved forward as far as was legally allowed. Especially as we've narrowed our pitch this season.

Stoke a team who rely on ariel bombardment and have a one trick pony in Delap yet as a football club what do we do? We leave a gap of three advertising boards 10 yards from the corner flag, he must have been laughing his tits off when he saw that.

When we play Stoke we should be redesigning the ground to make it more difficult for him. Those boards should never have been missing and all boards should have been moved forward as far as was legally allowed. Especially as we've narrowed our pitch this season.

True that, I thought the same thing. He was blatantly taking the throw-ins wherever he liked as well. The one where the gap was should actually have been taken where the boards were.

Perch: a slightly more athletic version of Ramage. He makes for uneasy viewing.

Granted Ramage was a product of what has been a mostly 'miss' academy over the years. But in Perch's case this is the performance level you get, and should expect somewhat, when the club/Ashley [with minimal backing afforded to it's managers] is travelling down the route of attempting to pick-up players for relative peanuts, in most instances.

Play Ben Arfa inside (instead of Nolan), he drifts in there anyway which restricts Enrique's ability to get forward, and Jonas wide left. Tiote and Barton "should" be enough to hold the central midfield and we need a proper right back.

Edit Can Gosling play RB ???

Edited by Toonpack

Im not going to give CH too much stick at the moment and we need to perhaps remember where he and we come from and what our expectations are this season.

However, I do find his formation and subs baffling. Ban Arfa was bright and what I liked about him was not only his ability to put a ball in, but how he moved play and when off the ball moved into space and didnt stay static like many of our players. I was much more impressed with Tiote though who was doing a cracking job until he was subbed.

At home I'd certainly be dropping Nolan for Tiote in the centre and playing two up front.

Can play there but doubt he would be any good.

Simpson is back training again so hopefully not too long before he is match fit.

Sad isn't it that I'm eagerly anticipating the return of a player who I think isn't good enough, because he's still better than our other player who is an apparent stalwart in the side.

Ryan taylor must be wondering what he needs to do to get a run in the first side, or moreover what Perch needs to do to stop getting one. Taylor's dead ball ability would have no doubt come in handy.

My head was in my hand's when perch scored... "You wally" i was thinking... Thought he had a pretty good game up to that point.. He's box to box as a full back..

Tiote was my man of the match.. Nolan's good positionally but even when he gets the ball in a decent area he hasn't the pace to use it.. Looking back on the game, Ameobi could have been much more effective..

Nolan as club captain could play as a hex on all this now...

By the way, as excited as i was every time Ben Arfa got the ball, in the end he did nothing..

First decent cross all day was when Gutierrez came on..